Monday, March 28, 2011

awkwardness

strange title? maybe. but awkwardness is something that's been on my mind since yesterday's message in church. our pastor mentioned how Jesus made things awkward. He got straight to the heart, and asked all the hard questions. people were taken by surprise, and talked about His boldness as if it were a bad thing. but His mercy was always there. even in the moments when he challenged and revealed the heart. i want to be like that. i've got the boldness down pretty well. .every now and then I'll have a hard time standing up, but I believe in being real. now i've got to work on the mercy :) i don't mean that i have no mercy, but i think sometimes i don't convey my heart for people and I tend to come across as judgmental. i know i sometimes make people uncomfortable. . just like i don't always hide my strong opinions, others don't always hide their feelings of discomfort :P i don't mind if people disagree with me at all (except when my sinful heart wants to think I'm right;)! i think diversity is wonderful . . it makes me think, and i like that. when people are real with me, i find it refreshing. and lately i've struggled with feeling like i'm not able to be as real as i'd like. that phrase "walking on eggshells" could describe some of what i'm experiencing :P i'm not saying we need to open up to everyone about everything. . but what i am saying is this: if we are so concerned about not offending people with our convictions or  even just our feelings during conversations, where is God in the picture? If He is at the center, we as Christians should not be so concerned with the petty things that might offend us! God has given us freedom, and has called each of us to live life a little differently. and that means He is convicting different people of different things. He wants us to fellowship and challenge one another so that we may GROW in Him. Being real doesn't have to mean condemning or offending others. . It's balancing our realness with mercy. Now, I'm not expecting these perfect conversations where everything goes smoothly all the time. . that's a bit unrealistic ;) but I believe there is so much more for us as believers, and i think that it is an admirable goal to work towards being real and merciful towards one another despite our differences. so i'm praying God will help me to grow in mercy, grace, and love as I have conversations. i'd love to hear thoughts, whether through here or facebook :)


1 Corinthians 7:17 "Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him."

No comments:

Post a Comment